It’s finished!

I told you in a past post that I like to have a long term project and some shorter ones all going at the same time. My Star Crossed Love quilt, my long term project, got moved to the top when I realized that the Heritage Quilt Show in Bloomington, IN was going to be here sooner than I was thinking! And the plan was to have it be in our booth.

So, solid quilting for several days and it’s finally finished! A day early! Now that’s not to say I didn’t have help.
Here’s Kassi helping with the pressing.. 
She has her own spot by my Handi Quilter. This is so I can keep an eye on her and she won’t jump on the quilt and use it like a trampoline or hammock. When I’m not quilting, I cover it with two large pieces of heavy cardboard from the box our new treadmill came in.
And if it wasn’t Kassi, it was Tchaikovsky! I had the blocks chained together. (You can get my Chaining page in an earlier post.) In this photo he kind of dares me to take it out from under him.

Then Kassi held the quilt down so I could square it up for my Piping Hot Binding (23940).

When I went to move the laundry from the washer to the dryer, Tchai decided that the quilt was a good place to groom.
In short, I don’t know how I could have managed without them!

So a little more about my feline approved long term project.
Cathy and I saw the original Star Crossed Love Quilt (59697) by Deb Tucker at a Quilt Market way before the pattern was available, and she wanted it for a model and I loved the quilting.

Deb told us it was quilted by Mara Novak, Flying Goose Custom Quilting, Chester, Vermont, and I took photos. I used Mara’s designs for the inside part of the quilt, adapted them for the colored border, and did my own thing for the black borders because I was running out of time. I also used yellow Piping Hot Binding (23940) at the edge. I just love the added touch!
I used the HQ Mini Circle Template (A11096) to get my centers round for the flowers, and this great new “Catch-n-Cut” tool (A11981). One end is long with a hook, and it gets in that small area and pulls up the bobbin thread slick as a whistle!  
I used my Stitch-in-the-Ditch foot to finish the binding instead of hand stitching on the back.
Here’s the finished quilt.
Thanks Deb and Mara, for giving us the pattern, tool, and inspiration!

(To find an item or event on our web page after clicking on the underlined words, hold down the “Ctrl” key and touch F. Enter the item number in the box, press enter, and you’ll be taken to that item.)

You can see what’s new at Erica’s almost every day! Any page of our website has a column on the left that tells you where to find things, and all you have to do is look for “What’s New” in purple, and click to find out.



3 thoughts on “It’s finished!

  1. Thank you so much, Kathleen. I'm glad you found us! This quilt is one of my favorites, and of course I couldn't have done it without the help of my assistants.

  2. Nice Job! I adapted the design from Jamie Wallen's feathers. Those petal shapes can be made to fit in anything and I can't stop quilting them.best,mara

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s